Saturday, March 8, 2008

Permanent Challenge - Stranger Capture

The challenge is this - meet someone completely new and take their picture. Write a little bit about that person and your experience.



This is Pebbles. She's in her sixth year of living on the road. When I met Pebbles, she was with her two temporary travel buddies Abby and Gurge.

I asked how he got the name Gurge and Pebbles recalled a two day period where they drank all the liquor they could and Gurge kept throwing up. "I already had too many friends named 'Puke' so I called him 'Gurge.'" She told me the crude-by-normal-standards names of some of her other friends, but the only one I seem to be able to remember is "Piss." I did not ask how Piss got his nickname.

Pebbles had a letter tattooed on each of her knuckles that could be seen when she made a fist. Her hands were weathered with burn marks - later confirmed to be some of the roughness to be expected on the road (including fairly frequent fights). One hand spelled L-A-Z-Y and she was debating whether to add S-C-U-M underneath it or "pirate" spelled (the Greek letter Pi)-R-A-T.

At the end of our visit (watching their dogs play and dig holes near a parking deck) I offered to let them spend the next few nights in a school building that I had access to. Their alternative was to squat in an abandoned building.

CC: So you want to go see the classroom building where you can probably sleep?
Pebbles: Sounds sketchy.

1 comment:

Cecile Garcia said...

What does her hat say? She looks so cheery for someone who has spent so much time on the road.